08 June 2009

Weekend Down South

Headed home to SC – after many flight delays - I finally touch down in Savannah. Walking out of the airport and taking in the scents of the Low Country, it almost feels like heaven. Hugs from Mom and off to find the much needed drink – I love traveling but there is such a thing as being in an airport too long for just a short trip. A random discovery for a Friday was Smitty’s off 1-95 located in the Clean-Stay motel (no joke). It was karaoke night and you can imagine how unsurprised I was to walk in and hear a duet of “Ocean Front Property”. Sothern Comfort was listed as my drink of choice for the night. Sleeping at my Mom’s house is like a dream – you hear nothing but maybe the frogs or if a deer rustles by. Saturday we spent the day in Bluffton – the real old Bluffton, downtown. After 2 tries of finding a place to eat – we settled on Mexican and Margaritas. The first place was closed for the weekend and the second was completely empty except for the employees all crowded in the kitchen admiring one of the employee’s new born baby. Welcome to the South. A little shopping and window shopping ended the afternoon. Saturday night was for the drive-in – we saw The Hangover and I very much recommend it for some great laughs. Oh, how I miss the drive-in summer nights. Sunday was a lazy day of sleeping in because it was raining (and my Mom has a tin roof – sometimes I think she lives in a fish camp) but then enjoying the afternoon looking through old photos, drinking champagne and snacking on various cheeses and tofu nuggets. Quick drive back to Savannah and I’m ready to fly home refreshed. Life is so good.

No comments: